NGUMC Blog Postings

Friday, April 1, 2011

My Tour Guide

Sorry it has been so long since my last post. I've been extremely busy with being on staff for Confirmation and Spiritual Life Retreats, which I will explain in more detail in a future post.

I wanted to take some time to tell you about an amazing experience I had back in January of this year. I attended Passion 2011, which is a national conference for high school seniors and college students. This is a weekend filled with worship led by your favorite artists, and awesome speakers from all different paths of life. We also broke into small groups where we discussed the sermons we heard in the last session. Louie Giglio started these conferences and he talked about how we hide God too much, and don't let people see the man who made us who we are, who we are becoming, and what we will be. This really hit many of us. I know it hit me, because it made me realize that I sometimes put on two personalities: my church personality, and my school personality. I noticed that my only purpose should be to let God be seen through me any time and anywhere, so that I can lead others to him, and continue making disciples for Jesus Christ.

Then God presented my two friends and I with a test one night after worship. We were in Atlanta walking back to our hotel when we passed a homeless man. He came up to us and just said, "Man, y'all are really pumped up for God, aren't you?" We all affirmed that, and then we started talking with him while he claimed to be our "tour guide" on the way back to the hotel. As we walked, he started saying scripture verses and explaining his life and how he's just been fortunate enough to get a job. He explained to us the trials he has been through and showed us his bible, and told us that is what guides him through life. As we approached the hotel he told us that he was just offered a job, but he needed some money to get him by till he gets his first paycheck. As we all offered the few dollars we had, we parted ways with our guide. Then we realized he was our angel sent to show us what carrying God with you is all about. This was such an eye opening experience and I'll remember it forever. As he said he was our guide, he wasn't just a guide to that big city, he was a guide for our lives. He showed us how to be brave and put ourselves out there knowing that as long as we're spreading the good word, God will protect us, and watch over us no matter how difficult it may be to approach someone about our magnificent savior. I encourage you to go out into the world carrying one personality, it being one that's all about our Lord and savior Jesus Christ, and about spreading the word, so that we may be that tour guide for everyone around us. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment